Our aim as a school is for every child to become confident, creative, compassionate and curious learners and leaders who have a passion to live life to the full and change the world for the better.
We support the development and understanding of British Values in a range of ways throughout the year so that they are an integral part of school life.
Children understanding what the democratic process is and seeing it in action in their school community
• Democratically elected School Council with representatives from each class.
• School Council display board to include dates of meetings, who’s who, key roles & responsibilities.
• School Council to have their own Action Plan and Budget for the year they are in office. This could be set up in 3 x 1hr slots to avoid too much disruption to Y6 learning. First hour with a member of SLT to explain School Priorities.
• School Council feedback to their class after each council meeting.
• Next year make more of a ceremony out of the handover from one council to the next, so hold elections in October.
• Develop the links between Governors and School Council.
• Y6 have been chosen by Tobias Elwood to create a flag to represent the constituency. This will be created from school designs and flown publically. We will make this a high status event within school.
• Democracy in action during Democracy Week – Bethany children making a democratic budgeting decision. Class debates & whole school voting.
British Life and Values
What it means to be British; our community locally, nationally, globally
• One World Day (Federation) 27.10.14 to focus on diversity in our school, Britain & the World.
• BBC Newsround watched & discussed each week. Could be morning / learning journey/ class assembly time.
Rule of Law
Individual liberty, upholding the laws of the land
• PCSO deliver e-safety training to Y6.
• PCSO safer neighbourhood team could come to Year groups to start discussions on how to make our neighbourhood safer as part of SEAL programme.
• Bethany Democracy Week Spring 2014. What is democracy? How is our country governed? Democracy in action, our world this week.
Mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
• All children explore and celebrate a wide range of world views through one world day activities.
• The RE curriculum is designed to allow children to learn about and learn from a wide range of faiths.